That is the best name for it I could come up with.
Items needed: Material for the pincushion, Scraps of batting, Heavy cardboard or I made one this morning using those plastic canvas rounds and it worked good to. Something round that is the size you want yours to be and then something round that is 1/2" to 3/4" bigger. You will see from the picture what I used. Some other things such as scissors, stick glue, threads, etc.
Here is the picture of what I started with. You can also use a permanent marker to trace with as nothing will show when it is finished.
My cardboard wasn't real heavy so I cut 2 pieces each for the front and for the back using the center hole of the painters tape and glued them together. This will be the size of my pincushion.
Now take your batting scraps and cut 6 of the same size circles.
Place 1 piece of batting on the FRONT side of each set of circles and place 2 of the batting pieces on the other side of each set. This 2 piece side will be the inside of the pincushion. You can use just a touch of glue to hold them there if you wish.
From your material you need to trace around your larger circle. Two circles are needed, 1 for the front and 1 for the back. I used the outside edge of the painters tape.
Now make a gathering stitch around the outside edge of each piece of fabric
Take the cardboard disc and lay it in the middle of the fabric disc. MAKE SURE YOU have the side of the cardboard that has ONE piece of batting laying on the wrong side of the fabric. Then pull the gathers tight and tie off.
Do the same with the other cardboard disc. MAKE SURE you have the side with one thickness of batting against the wrong side of the fabric
We are almost there, and this is going to be the hard part to explain and I couldn't get any really good pictures.
You will now need thread to match your fabric. Hold the two discs together evenly and start with a stitch about 1/4 or less down on the inside edge of the fabric. Take another stitch across from that last one and the same distance down from the edge. Back on the other side again. Go around the entire disc doing this. The best way I can describe it is it will look like an Oreo cookie (after the frosting is gone!!) It will have an indent around the edge and this is where the pins go. Click on the picture to make it larger. (Woops it is a little blurry, sorry)
I wish I new how to make a reg file so you could download this but I don't so maybe if you want to keep a copy you can copy and paste it into a program and print it out.
If you have ANY QUESTIONS please leave me message at the bottom on comments and I will do my very best to help you out. And if anyone can explain how to make a printable copy of this I will do it!!!!
Songbird Crazy Quilt Placemats
1 day ago
Love it! Thanks for doing this, I sure appreciate it! It will make great little valentine gifts for my girls! Kim Strut526
ReplyDeleteHi Margie,
ReplyDeleteMine is purple. I don't suppose I told you that purple is my favourite colour did I? It is perfect, I absolutely love it. The book mark and pot holder were lovely surprise bonuses. Thank you so very much! ~dancing around the room with glee!~
Lovely! It is a pinkeep.
ReplyDelete